A software company in Lithuania is shipping face recognition and fingerprint recognition SDKs (software development kits) for embedded and mobile Linux devices. Neurotechnologija’s FaceCell and FingerCell 2.0 SDKs can be used separately, or combined, for “multi-biometrical applications,” the company says.
Neurotechnologija says it designed both SDKs for use in low cost, low power, compact, and/or mobile embedded devices, such as doors, entry gates, handheld PCs, and cell phones. The algorithms in each kit were designed to work together, using a common interface, because multi-biometrical recognition can add security and reliability, and deliver faster matching speeds, according to the company.
Touted FaceCell features include:
* Matching speed of up to 3,000 faces per second
* Supports built-in device cameras
* Altenative to PIN (personal identification number) for logins to handheld devices
* More practical and comfortable than PINs
* No physical contact with device required
* Can be used for person identification applications in law enforcement and insurance
* Face detection and template extraction takes 1-2 seconds, depending on frame size and processor speed (200 MHz – 400MHz or faster processors are recommended)
* SDK Includes sample application for an iPaq HW6915
Touted FingerCell features and benefits include:
* Up to 700 fingerprints per second
* Supports 1:1 and 1:many matching
* Suitable for access control, time and attendance, and device security
* Tolerates fingerprint translation, rotation, and partial prints
* Lower false rejection rate than desktop fingerprint recognition systems
* Includes sample code for iPAQ hx2700 and h5500
Both FaceCell and FingerCell support ARM Linux, Windows CE, and Windows Mobile operating systems. Additionally, both interoperate with Neurotechnologija’s VeriLook and VeriFinger biometric applications for PCs.
CEO Algimantas Malickas stated, “Used together, [FaceCell and FingerCell support] situations when a second identification method is needed, such as access control for disabled people or for manual workers whose fingerprints may be difficult to scan.”
Both FaceCell and FingerCell 2.0 are available from Neurotechnologija (and its distributors) as source code or binary libraries.